Subject: RE: Compiling "V" 1.16 - Specific Instructions?
From: [email-masked]

29 Dec 1997 20:39:35 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <c=AU%a=_%l=[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
To: "Gnu-Win32 Mailing List"<[email-masked]>,
        Brendan Simon <[email-masked]>,
        [email-masked]
Cc: "Fernandes, Hilton" <[email-masked]>

On 26 Dec 97 at 12:22,  Brendan Simon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >
> >> Please be warned that V is mainly a Unix GUI library; its 
> >> support to Windows 95/NT is still to be done.  People wanting to 
> > program for Win95/NT should take a look at wxWindows.
> >> Maybe wxWindows should be added to Cygnus page.
> >
> THIS IS DEFINATELY INCORRECT !!!
> 
> V has both X Windows AND MS-Windows support.

Hi, Brendan!

I'm sorry if i was incorrect.  I appreciate the V library and its 
community, and don't want to be unfair with any of them.

Internet and computing in general changes very quickly, so it's very 
easy to have information no longer current.

Maybe you can help enlighten me and this mailing list about V making 
the necessary corrections to what i'm going to relate.

I first heard about V in the famous paper by Prof. Wampler, V's
creator, published in C/C++ Users Journal (Aug/96).  Prof. Wampler
related that he designed a multiplatform class library and was using
it to teach his students about object-oriented programming and
interface design.

I'm a C++ instructor and i'm constantly embarrassed by the "good" o-o
design principles followed in the construction of MFC.  So i was
very interested when i read Prof. Wampler's paper.  But prudence
advised me to take some time before jumping into V and preparing
classes to my students.  To that purpose i subscribed V mailing list
and read its messages for a while.  

From what i could see, in that times (circa 1996) several people
were having problems with V's window implementation.  I'm not saying 
that V didn't compile, but people related that in some cases V didn't 
work correctly under Windows.

Then in several messages, experienced users advised beginners that
they should consider V a Unix-oriented class library.  This wasn't 
emphatically contested then.  

I thought that was still the case when i read V's page: they say
that Windows support is still missing.  

Maybe that was just a misunderstood, but i'd like to ask your opinion 
about it.

Thank you for the attention,
++Hilton
-------------------
Hilton Fernandes
email: [email-masked]
www:   http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hilton.html (inactive)
M. Sc. Student of Parallel Distributed Applications
at Escola Politecnica (Polytechic School)
University of S. Paulo - Brazil
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".