Subject: egcs plans
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

26 Dec 1997 10:33:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Here're some near-future plans I have for egcs for cygwin32/mingw32.
Comments welcome.
  
  - gcc-2.8.0 merge: Now that egcs has merged in 2.8.0 features and I have
    things running quite well, the next release will have the best of both
    worlds. Hopefully the new code to use the Win32 Registry will solve
    some of the installation woes.

  - dlltool/ld/gas fixes from Mikey: Hopefully I can merge in the fixes 
    from Mikey that allows one to link with MS LIB files. I don't
    understand some of the changes yet, but I'll be in touch with Mikey
    to clear things up.

  - (mingw32) dlltool enhancements Pedro Pedro A. Aranda Guti\irrez: This
    allows synonyms and constants in .def files and obviates the need for
    libmoldname.a, and hence multiple imports for crtdll.

  - (very tentative) Installer: I don't know if this is going to happen, 
    but it sure would be nice. If you can help in this, please let me know. 
    I only have InstallShield Express, which is a pain to use when you
    tons of directories, and doesn't support scripting.

  - unpacked tree via ftp? I'd really like to have the unpacked directory
    hieararchy available via ftp, but I can't do it here due to resource
    constraints. I'm sure someone else will volunteer ;-)

When? Definitely not before Jan 7 since I'll be few timezeones away (and 
fortunately +22 degrees C) from my home machine. I can still remotely 
build the snapshots and fix problems however. Looks like sometime around 
Jan 15.

Why not just use FSF-2.8.0 when released instead of egcs? What benefits
do you get over the soon-to-be-released gcc-2.8.0?

  - Crucial c++ fixes in egcs that affect the C++ code on PE-COFF.
  - g77 is "integrated" into egcs. Some of the "experimental" 
    features such as alias analysis are in egcs, but not in FSF. 
  - other misc x86 optimizations that are not in FSF.

Happy Holidays to all.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".