Subject: RE: exception problem
From: [email-masked] (wiljan)

21 Dec 1997 01:32:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: "'Arthur W. Neilson III'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]"
	 <[email-masked]>

The peek program that you wrote, looks in you own virtual memory.
This means that the addresses you specify are virtual address of you program
You expect to look into physical memory of the machine.
NT takes care (as most virtual memory systems) that you can not read or write
those areas under normal circumstances.

If you really want to access the physical memory you need a special device driver
to have this done.

Wiljan

-----Original Message-----
From:	Arthur W. Neilson III [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Saturday, December 20, 1997 9:37 PM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	exception problem

I wrote a short program that dumps memory in hex format.
It takes a hex address argument off the command line
and displays the contents of that memory address on 
the screen in hex format like so:

C:\gnuwin32\src\src\peek f000
0000F000  A5 85 A5 85 A5 85 A5 85 A5 85 B1 8A A5 85 A5 85  *
................ *
0000F010  A5 85 A5 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85  *
................ *
0000F020  A7 85 A5 85 BB 89 A5 85 A5 85 5A 8B BB 89 A5 85  *
..........Z..... *
0000F030  A5 85 5F 89 5F 89 FA 88 5F 89 5F 89 DE 85 A7 85  *
.._._..._._..... *
0000F040  A7 85 5F 89 DE 85 5F 89 FD 88 DE 85 DE 85 BD 89  *
.._..._......... *
0000F050  A5 85 A5 85 A5 85 EC 8B 73 8C A5 85 5F 89 A7 85  *
........s..._... *
0000F060  38 90 55 90 A5 85 A5 85 A7 85 A5 85 E3 89 DE 85  *
8.U............. *
0000F070  A5 85 A7 85 5F 89 5F 89 DE 85 A5 85 A7 85 0F 89  *
...._._......... *
0000F080  12 89 A5 85 55 90 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85  *
....U........... *
0000F090  A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 A7 85 15 89 1E 2E 8E 1E 02 00  *
................ *
0000F0A0  80 3E 16 14 00 75 03 E9 EB 00 1F 45 55 8B EC 1E  *
..>...u.....EU... *
0000F0B0  53 2E 8E 1E 02 00 80 FC 12 76 0A C6 06 45 14 00  *
S........v...E.. *
0000F0C0  C6 06 46 14 00 80 3E 45 14 00 74 05 C6 06 46 14  *
..F...>E..t...F. *
0000F0D0  01 80 3E 4E 14 00 75 05 C6 06 4C 14 01 F7 06 EC  *
..>N..u...L..... *
0000F0E0  14 02 00 75 08 F7 06 0D 16 02 00 74 18 80 3E 4E  *
...u.......t..>N *
0000F0F0  14 00 75 11 60 06 0F A0 0F A8 9A 42 63 1F 01 0F  *
..u.`......Bc... *

et cetera ....

anyways, I get an exception in the gnu-win32 handler when I try to display
system memory areas, like low memory 00000417 for example (numlock status
byte).

What do I have to do to be allowed to examine any area of storage?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".