Subject: Re: Fw: GNU-Win32 info
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

19 Dec 1997 07:23:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <01bd0bf0$9b315500$7bca09c0@lynx>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <01bd0bf0$9b315500$7bca09c0@lynx>,
Bob Duke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Can anyone give me information about the status of the GNU-Win32 tools
>for the Windows NT/Intel platform?  We are porting a Unix app that is
>built in a Sun environment with various GNU tools (gmake, flex, g++,
>etc.) and are primarily interested in just being able to use reasonably
>functional and/or supported tools.  I have tried your B18 beta, and had
>problems with file system corruption being reported when using tar and
>rm -rf on an ntfs volume (I think that rm was just confused, but it
>made me want something past the beta).  Anyway, is anything past the
>beta available?

The 'rm -rf' message is just a symptom of rm confusion.  It is due to
the fact that there are no inodes available for directories under cygwin
so they are calculated based on the directory name.  That means that if
you have a directory structure like c:\foo\bar\foo, and attempt an
'rm -r foo', you will receive an error about "file system corruption"
because rm has found that two foo's with the same "inode".

B18 is the latest version of the source available but you'll want to get
the coolview version of B18 available from: http://www.lexa.ru/sos .
en
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".