Subject: CreateProcess() (NT-style)
From: [email-masked] (dave madden)

18 Dec 1997 22:43:38 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I've written a native telnet server for NT (it uses standard Win32
calls rather than the cygwin DLL) but I'm having trouble communicating
with processes spawned from the CMD.EXE that I start up after the user
logs in.  Builtins like VER and SET work fine, as do a few other very
simple commands (DIR & TYPE [builtin?], DATE), but when I run a
substantial program like bash or CL, I get no output.  I end up
killing the process with the Task Manager to get back to the shell.

However, if I run CL as the process that my daemon starts, I get its
output as expected.  (Bash starts up if executed as the first process,
but apparently can't/won't talk over the anonymous pipes I've set up.)
I suspect that children of the shell process telnetd spawns aren't
inheriting the appropriate DETACHED_PROCESS and CREATE_NO_WINDOW
flags, but I don't know how to fix it.

Can anyone in gnuwin32-land help with this?

BTW, I'm using native calls because I have another project which must
be done natively, and which will need to use pipes to communicate with
child processes.  I figured telnetd would be both a good learning
experience and a useful program to have.  (If anybody wants what I have
so far, let me know.  I intend to GPL it.)

d.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".