Subject: b18: fileaccess LS UNreliable
From: [email-masked] (jbessels)

17 Dec 1997 11:13:24 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I've a few years of experience with Unix and now my company will migrate
to
NT (damned). I'm currently looking at Cygnus-gnu32 and I'm experiecing
some
VERY weird things. I've listed my results below.

Configuration. Two different NT systems (one Pentium166 and one Pentium
II
266) both using NT4.0 with SP3.

Observation1: For Bash and Command Line (CLI) is true:
ls > dummy  is OK.
ls -l > ../dummy or ls -ptl > ../dummy is OK.
ls -l > dummy or ls -ptl > dummy gives following error:
dummy Permission denied. (checked the above for a couple of dirs)
Conclusion: redirection doesn't work if the file is in the same
directory.
Have tried it on WIn95 as well same result. Works fine under Linus
though, should work !!

Observation2: Standing in rootdir /
CLI. Dir pagefile.sys is OK.
BASH. Dir pagefile.sys is ERROR  (using cygnus dir. cmd)
BASH. ls pagefile.sys is ERROR.
CLI.  ls pagefile.sys is ERROR. In all three cases error is --> dir:
pagefile.sys  No such file or directory.
Ohter files can be accessed, pagefile is swapfile.
Conclusion: Under Dos using dir all is OK, using cygnus ls (and possibly

other ones as well) give error.

Observation3: Standing in rootdir / (have installed SMS)
dirs SMSdata.dat smslog.dat are allowed to be accessed by the
adminstrator
and I'm logged in as adminstrator.
CLI. dir SMSdata.dat and dir SMSlog.dat is OK.
CLI + BASH. ls SMSdata.log and ls SMSlog.dat is ERROR --> permission
denied.

obvervation4: This one is beautiful. Standingin /Winnt
CLI. dir net*.* ==> two files shown, netlogon.chk and network.wri.
BASH. dir net*.* (cygnus dir) and ls net*.* only show the file
network.wri.
NO error is displayed.
BASH ls -l net*.*. only shows network.wri and no error.
BASH ls -l net*.* | head -5 gives networ.wri and sometimes the error
"ls:
netlogon.chk. permission denied."

I've tried to be as accurate as possible, but maybe a mistake has
slipped
in. My conclusion is. Cygnus-gnuwin32 seems nice, pipes et al works like
as
charm just like all commands BUT I can't trust Cygnus-gnuwin32 because
sometimes not al files are shown or aren't handled correctly. This makes
it
totally unusable for me. Am I doing something wrong here or..... I've
tried
to download coolview (november version) but that site is so unbelievable

slow I can't download coolview at all. If someone could send me the
LATEST
coolview version this would be much appreciated.

OK guys, I'm completely lost here. I don't know whats going on. Most
examples can be tried by everone. I'm very interested if you can
reproduce
my errors. Please let me know....

Cheers, (gonna hit the bottle hard this evening)

Jan Bessels
========

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".