Subject: Help needed: FAQ for cygwin32/mingw32 egcs
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

16 Dec 1997 17:54:44 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

I need some help from folks who have *successfully* installed and used
egcs on cygwin32 and/or mingw32. My own setup always seems to work, but 
there are many for whom this is not the case, and right now I just don't 
have the time to investigate each problem.

What I would like to do is to create FAQ for egcs on both cygwin32 and
mingw32 and hopefully that will help the new users, especially those who
don't necessarily know how gcc finds its includes, libraries, specs file
etc. Have any of you kept notes on any of the following cases:
   
   1. egcs-1.00 dumped on top of cygwin32 b18. Anything special that needs
      to be done (eg., making sure that the env variables now point to the
      right place)?
   2. egcs-1.00 and cygwin32 b18, but under 2 different trees. That's how
      I keep mine, but others have had problems. I personally like the
      clean separation, at the expense of disk space. The only thing I had
      to make sure was that the egcs/bin directory came before
      gnuwin32/b18/bin in PATH.
   3. egcs-1.00 for cygwin32/mingw32  *and* b18.
   4. Other general pitfalls.
      * ld.exe goes to la-la land. One quick workaround is to copy the
	ld.exe in bin directory to gcc library directory (where cc1.exe
	lives) under the name collect-ld.exe; I still haven't figured out
	what the problem really is, so if you know the answer, don't hold
	back.
      * Coolview: coolview's libcygwin.a needs to be built with egcs 
	dlltool (basically a newer version of dlltool than the one that
	came with cygwin32 b18). Has anybody tried rebuilding libcygwin.a
	from Sergey's coolview cygwin.dll and see if that works? If so,
	a shell script can automate that.
      * whatever else you've noticed.

I would like to hear from you on what you've done to get things working
so we can help the rest of the users having problems.

Thanks in advance,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".