Subject: Re: One way to get around the cygwin terminal problem
From: [email-masked] (Christopher Faylor)

16 Dec 1997 14:21:23 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[email-masked] wrote:
>>
>> In other words, with some work, it is possible to get a professional
>> looking and acting terminal application using the cygwin Unix
>> environment but bypassing the cygwin terminal window.
>
>>>It's a bad idea to replace stdout with direct console writings. You
>application, for example, will not work in a telnet session or in xterm
>window. <<
>
>Oh, now I know why you wrote this.  Your implementation of cygwin.dll and
>BASH-4.01$ doesn't support generation of a new console buffer to overlay
>the cygwin console buffer.  In fact, your web site claims that such
>applications won't work.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  How can you claim that is an
>improvement?  I stopped using your earlier developmental binaries because
>they broke so many of the things that I had come to take for granted with
>cygwin b18.

That's interesting.  I'm sure that you understand that Sergey's
"developmental binaries" actually represent snapshots of Cygnus's own
development tree, right?  So, you were undoubtedly really diligent in
reporting all of this "broken" behavior so that it would be corrected
for B19.

Phew.  That's a relief.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".