Subject: Re: One way to get around the cygwin terminal problem
From: [email-masked]

16 Dec 1997 03:29:08 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked] ([email-masked]),
        "12.Dec.1997.11":47:[email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
>
> In other words, with some work, it is possible to get a professional
> looking and acting terminal application using the cygwin Unix
> environment but bypassing the cygwin terminal window.

>>It's a bad idea to replace stdout with direct console writings. You
application, for example, will not work in a telnet session or in xterm
window. <<

Oh, now I know why you wrote this.  Your implementation of cygwin.dll and
BASH-4.01$ doesn't support generation of a new console buffer to overlay
the cygwin console buffer.  In fact, your web site claims that such
applications won't work.  Tsk, tsk, tsk.  How can you claim that is an
improvement?  I stopped using your earlier developmental binaries because
they broke so many of the things that I had come to take for granted with
cygwin b18.

The operative words here are _compatibility_ and _transparency_ of operation.

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia
Looking for a job

And, there are lots of jobs in America for Russian emigre programmers,
especially in the San Francisco peninsula, where there are startup software
companies founded by emigres.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".