Subject: Re: DLL's in console applications
From: [email-masked] (Kees van Veen)

16 Dec 1997 02:32:08 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
> 
> Kees van Veen wrote:
> > But now it looks like every time an instance of the application starts,
> > all the DLL's are loaded again as well. The DLL's together amount to
> > about 10Mb, and this will increase in the future. My aim was to get them
> > to work as a sort of shared libraries.
> >
> 
> It just seems to you. The code segment of a dll shares between applications, but data segment is loaded for every app.
> 
>

Thanks Colin and Sergey for your response.

It seemed to me when looking at the performance tab in the task manager.
Every time I start a new instance of the application I see the memory
usage increase with about the size of the application.

Also the startup time of the application doesn't decrease when an
instance is already loaded. On Unix I'm used to wait a little longer the
first time to get the shared libraries loaded, and the second instance
to start up quickly. On NT I cannot say I notice this, altough I may be
short on memory here. 64Mb on a Pro 200 with NT server 4 S P3 is a
minimum configuration, I'm told.

Kees
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".