Subject: Re: problem with EGCS on gun-win32 b18!! HELP
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

15 Dec 1997 19:05:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: "Colin Peters" <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "GNU-Win32" <[email-masked]>

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>;
12.Dec.1997.19 <:30:[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, December 15, 1997 3:50 PM
Subject: Re: problem with EGCS on gun-win32 b18!! HELP

>root  writes:
>> Hi!
>>       When I compile a C++ code with egcs (over gnuwin32 b18) on win95,
I get
>> no errors. (the
>> code works fine on my linux box). But when I run the executable, I get
>> an error
>> message telling me that I miss the "abort.dll" file. What the hell
could
>> this be due to?
[Mumit]
>Dumping egcs right over gnu-win32 b18 is probably [not a good] idea,
given that others
>seem to be having trouble as well. One thing to watch out for is that you
>CANNOT use import libraries (eg., kernel32.a or libcygwin32.a) that were
>created with b18 tools. You must use the egcs supplied ones.
>
[vischne]
>That's interesting.  The first version of ming were compatible with
kernel32.
>I wonder why it is necessary to have two separate setups, one cygwin and
one
>mingw32, when the cygwin ./configure and make capabilities are so much
better
>at this time.  It seems to make more sense to have ming as an auxiliary
system,
>and use the cygwin tools to run ming.

I just want to point out that it is not a problem with what Mumit Khan has
done with Mingw32 (nothing except use and bundle it as far as I can tell).
The same problems will occur if one moves from Cygwin32 b18 to the EGCS
version of Cygwin32 (I believe). There is an incompatibility between the
format of files used by the EGCS compiler and linker and the format used
by the b18 compiler and linker. Probably these very same problems could
happen if you are not careful when upgrading to b19 from b18, as I
understand it will include the same fix. You can still use the EGCS
version of Cygwin32 and install Mingw32 as an "auxiliary system", in fact
many changes in EGCS and the latest snapshots of Mingw32 are designed to
make this easier (perhaps too easy... but that's another topic). In fact,
although I haven't tried it, you could also probably set up to build
Cygwin32 programs using the Mingw32 version of EGCS pretty easily
(relatively speaking of course). The problem is not related to whether the
run time libraries are Mingw32 or Cygwin32, it is related to whether you
are using EGCS (either version) or the GCC supplied with Cygwin32 (or
Jan-Jaap's native Mingw32 version of GCC).

Sorry about the bandwidth,
Colin.

P.S. As to whether it makes more sense to use Mingw32 under Cygwin32-based
tools: I, for one, do not really miss configure, bash, or GNU make with
full shell scripting very much, but I would miss the disk space they would
take up if I installed them (I am on a tight disk space budget :-/). For
people like me a native Mingw32 option is very useful, and, as I pointed
out, you can still use Cygwin32 tools to do Mingw32 stuff if you want to,
so thank you to Mr. Khan.

-- Colin Peters -- colin at fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin
-- http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/6162

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".