Subject: problem with ownership of files under NT4.0 under b18
From: [email-masked] (Ramesh Subrahmaniam)

15 Dec 1997 14:07:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

I installed NT4.0 Spervice Pack 3 on a SCSI disk with the FAT file
system. I am having a problem compiling (with gnumake) the files
installed on this file system. I have tried NTFS also without great
success.

When I do a ls -l on the source files it always shows the owner as being
0 and group as being everyone.

The first source of the bug is when I try to do a  make it complains
that I do not own the files. I tried to login as administrator and I go
into a DOS window and try to run chown. It always complains:

I did the following combinations:

    chown 500  bullit  <bullit is a directory>. Error: bullit: Invalid
Argument
    chown svr   bullit. Error : Invalid User
    chown -v 500 bullit. Says changing bullit owner to 500
                                   and then says bullit Invalid
argument.

I then tried NTFS because the next natural thing might be to suspect the
file system. The owner of the file now became 544 which is in range of
the UIDs when I type mkpasswd -l. But still chown does not work.

The next thing I tried is to modify the permissions. I did a chmod +w
<filename>. It failed silently meaning it did not change the
permissions. I did an ls -l to verify this.

Now I wanted to make a tmp directory and etc directory on my /. My / is
not a the C: drive instead I want it to be D:. I have installed NT4.0 on
a SCSI disk which I added. How do I change my / mount point to be D:
instead of C:. I tried the mount command as follows:
            mount d:  /    : Error fails with Device busy

So I did the following:

        umount C:. Failed silently; did not do anything.
        umount  /.   Failed siliently again.

I am trying desperately to get this working for me.

Can you please help? I will also be happy to go over any FAQs for these
kind of problems. Also how I modify the source to see what the problem
is? Where can I find the cygwin.dll source code?

Thanks

Ramesh

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".