Subject: Re: One way to get around the cygwin terminal window
From: [email-masked]

13 Dec 1997 07:22:11 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>> I don't see the point of an xterm window if you are running a Unix
environment under Windows 95.  Simply calling up bash.exe ought to
generate the equivalent of an xterm window.  But, running lynx or slrn
or midnight commander in the current version of a cygwin Windows/xterm
window just doesn't work right. <<

One more point:  While a properly implemented xterm window ought to run
applications that use console escape sequences to move and color the
cursor better than the current b18 cygwin terminal, it is implemented
using so many layers of interpreted Windows code, including the code
in the server, that the resulting slowdown seems like an excessive
time penalty.  If you really want complete Unix compatibility for remote
communications via X-windows, then you can _still_ configure libslang.a
as a pure Unix library under cygwin by replacing slw32tty.c by slutty.c.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".