Subject: c++ vs g++ [Re: Gcc compiler b18 newbie probs]
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

10 Dec 1997 21:34:52 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

"Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >  - use the right compiler driver to compile/link programs. For C 
> programs,
> >    use gcc, for C++ use c++ and for F77 use g77.
> 
>                           ^^^ shouldn't this be g++
> 

Historically these two had a subtle difference: g++ implicitly linked
with libg++ while c++ did not. With egcs-1.00, they're equivalent; even
before the advent of egcs, I never considereed libg++ as a standard
package, and preferred not to use g++ as the C++ driver. I guess I
simply don't like unneeded libraried implicitly linked in that standard
conforming code(*) does not need.

I haven't checked the last FSF gcc-2.8.0 snapshot to check if the 
distinction is still there or not.

Mumit

* Now we can finally (almost) use the term "standard conforming" when 
talking about C++. What a relief.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".