Subject: Re: More on getting coolview-bash to work with emacs
From: [email-masked] (Tomas Fasth)

10 Dec 1997 06:44:06 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Arlindo da Silva wrote:

> This binary mode thing and bash has caused many people a lot of grief (and
> e-mail traffic). Just a thought.

Oh well, talking about grief. Isn't it amazing that three major
platforms all use different protocols for text line termination? <CR> on
MacOS, <LF> on Unix, and <CR><LF> on DOS. Typical product
differentiation in the age of platform warfare?
Another classic cause for grief (at least for the non-ascii text
communities) was (is?) the 7-bit (ascii) character masking found well
into this decade in many (US originated?) software engineerings.
Yet another cause for much grief was (is?) 16-bit offset pointers.

We programmers are all a bunch of loosers, aren't we? ;-)

Tomas
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".