Subject: Re: More on getting coolview-bash to work with emacs
From: [email-masked] (Axel Riese)

10 Dec 1997 03:44:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked] (GNU-Win32)

Hi all !
 
I strongly support Jason's and Fergus' remarks concerning binary/text mounts:

> > Cygwin has multiple goals; while "Unix on NT" is one of them, it appears
> > to be of less importance than the others: a free development environment
> > for Win32, a way of getting more tools more rapidly into the Win32
> > world, etc. In meeting those goals, supporting the Win32 line-ending of
> > \r\n is relatively important. Folks living in the Win32 world don't want
> > to give up Win32 tools that operate on text files; because of that, they
> > need cygwin to deal properly with \r\n-style text files.

I'm one of these guys who uses cygwin mainly for writing Win32 applications.
Using UNIX \r line-endings is rather unnatural for this purpose.

> To achieve my goal, I need to use text-mode mounts.
> Thus for my purposes, if bash stops working on text-mode mounts,
> then this is a big step backwards...

Actually, Sergey's work is a big step *forwards*, but I would appreciate
support for both kinds of line-endings very much.

BW,
   Axel

===========================================================================
Axel Riese
Research Institute for Symbolic Computation
J. Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz                          e-Mail: [email-masked]
Austria             URL: http://www.risc.uni-linz.ac.at/people/ariese/home/
===========================================================================
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".