Subject: Re: ld / dlltool
From: [email-masked]

9 Dec 1997 13:50:10 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

In gnu-win32 [email-masked] writes:

>Why cannot the linker do the rellocation stuff itself, why does it need
>this bag-on-the-side?  If linker had to be modified to accept and output 
>--dll and --base-file why could it not be taught to write the .reloc section?

It can.  The ELF shared library support essentially builds all the
relocation information inside the linker, and the Win32 support could
do the same.  The AIX support can even read import and export files
when building a shared library, much the way dlltool does.

>I would be willing to assist in/perform or make the effort to clean this up, 
>but would like to know why it was done this way rather than as part of the 
>bfd port for the win32 object format.

I would guess because Steve Chamberlain found it easier to write a
separate program than to figure out how the other shared library
support worked.  No deep reason.

It would be great if you, or anybody, volunteered to clean this up.
It's not a simple job, though.  I think the way to start is to
understand how the ELF shared library support works.

Ian
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".