Subject: Re: More on getting coolview-bash to work with emacs
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

9 Dec 1997 13:44:14 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>
Cc: "'Arlindo da Silva'" <[email-masked]>,
        "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

> I do not understand the needs of text mode at all. Neither NT posix
> subsystem, nor OpenNT, nor UWIN doesn't have text mode as default.

If I understand the arguments, Sergey, the basic difference is that the
goals of the NT Posix subsystem, OpenNT, and UWIN are different from the
goals of cygwin.

The first three are aimed are providing (forgive the simplification and
trademark abuse) UNIX on top of NT. Users live in a Unix world, where
there is only one line-ending and \n is its name.

Cygwin has multiple goals; while "Unix on NT" is one of them, it appears
to be of less importance than the others: a free development environment
for Win32, a way of getting more tools more rapidly into the Win32
world, etc. In meeting those goals, supporting the Win32 line-ending of
\r\n is relatively important. Folks living in the Win32 world don't want
to give up Win32 tools that operate on text files; because of that, they
need cygwin to deal properly with \r\n-style text files.

I'd like to contribute to a solution for living in a mixed line-ending
world, but I haven't found a coherent way of solving the problem short
of living in one world or the other and abandoning attempts to handle
both line-endings simultaneously. That's not a helpful position for
those who have a goal other than "Unix on NT", so I say nothing.

Jason Zions
Softway Systems Inc.
Makers of OpenNT, POSIX and more for Windows NT
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".