Subject: Re: ld / dlltool
From: [email-masked]

9 Dec 1997 12:05:12 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>> This is clumsy at best, the import library generation in particular
takes
a very long time for the large number of symbols perl exports.
(Just about doubles the build time) - and they will nearly always be used
together so separate .o file for each symbol seems excessive.

Why cannot the linker do the rellocation stuff itself, why does it need
this bag-on-the-side?  If linker had to be modified to accept and output
--dll and --base-file why could it not be taught to write the .reloc
section? <<

The ming version of cygwin lets you get a dll directly from the make,
using `-dll' as the final gcc option.  There still is the problem that
import libraries generated by dlltool don't always work, as, for example,
those built with wsock32.dll.

If you use the impdef.exe program on one of the ming pages for
wsock32.dll, you lose all the ordinals associated with each exported
function, and the link process lists the wsock32.dll functions you are
linking to with _incorrect_ import ordinals associated to them.  If you
use the cygwin libwsock32.a dll, the link goes to completion without the
error messages, but the resulting program doesn't work.  Somewhere,
dlltool and/or ld are getting the import ordinals mixed up.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".