Subject: Re: Problem with libwsock32.a
From: [email-masked]

8 Dec 1997 13:06:18 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: [email-masked]

>>

   [email-masked]

I set up a dual cygwin/ming system and compiled the slrn news reader using
a ming-compiled libslang and libtermcap and libwsock32.a that is common to
ming and cygwin.  When I started to run slrn.exe, I got the following:

======================================================

slrn 0.9.4.3 (Dec  7 1997 23:59:53)

Reading startup file ./slrn.rc.
Connecting to host news3.ibm.net ...news3.ibm.net: Unknown host.
slrn fatal error: <<

I should point out that using ./configure to set up and compile slrn under
cygwin 18 works quite well, and slrn.exe works also.  But, it is working
with cygwin_gethostbyname, not gethostbyname.

The only reason to do a ming version is to test out the ming terminal: a
dos window with ansi.sys.  This is because the cygwin terminal window is
just not good enough.  Even without using a libslang application, you can
see the problems with it.  To prove this to yourself, get a bash$ prompt
going in a dos window, and type

bash$ env | less

What you will see is the `env' screen with text from the window overlaid.
This is just one demonstration of how inadequate the present cygwin
console window is.  Any fast backspacing or back arrow typing in the bash$
window will provide the other demonstration.

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".