Subject: Re: case sensitive directory names
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

5 Dec 1997 16:34:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Jason Zions <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>

At 10:47 AM 12/4/97 -0700, you wrote:
>It's not gnuwin that "remembers" the original case you typed - it's the
>filesystem.

Whilst this may be true, what I see happening is that under bash (and not
under cmd.exe) if I cd to a directory with the name typed in lowercase,
certain other non-cygwin programs (clearcase) inherit this wrong pathname.
To me this means that he problem is separate from bash' intrenal concept of
what the CWD is.

>NTFS and FAT16 (under NT, anyway) are case-storing filesystems; Win32 is
>case-insensitive when looking at the stored filenames.
>
>Instead of using the bash built-in pwd, use /bin/pwd to get the "real"
>working directory in a case-consistent way. /bin/pwd walks the
>filesystem to find out where you are, while the bash built-in tracks it
>by assuming a starting point and watching the cd commands fly by. (If
>you cd through a symlink, I think you'll get wildly different answers
>from the builtin pwd and /bin/pwd; I don't know which is more useful to
>your scripts.)

Well, actually /bin/pwd prints out the same 'wrong case' version of the CWD
as bash does.

Guy

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".