Subject: drag/drop args (was Re: Shell-Here Explorer)
From: [email-masked] (SRE)

4 Dec 1997 19:27:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

At 05:56 AM 12/04/97 PST, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>BASH is command line only; just like MSDOS only a little smarter.

Right, but I've got lots of reasons to drag files into command line
applications. I do it with FTP, for instance, instead of "cd path"
and then "put file". I just type "put", and drag the file off
explorer. Dragging into a BASH window works also, it's just that
none of the tools know how to deal with the text that shows up on
the command line.

>The rest of the .exe's in the set are to be executed in a command shell.  
>No GUI.

I don't really want a GUI shell. My drag/drop icons typically start either
a NT CMD script or a console application... neither of which know about
windows, but both of which need to be able to feed command line args into
a program or set of programs.

I'm just looking for a way to easily create arguments, rather than
typing them in by hand. It is "windows", after all, not "vt100".
One of the reasons I use my NT box more than my Sun and HP unix boxes
is precisely because I don't have to type filenames or set up lots of
clever aliases.

But what I'm hearing is that you can only use gnu-win32 tools in
isolation from other tools, right? For instance, I've been using perl
for quite some time from a CMD script, but if I call it from BASH
it can't find any of the files! The pathnames used by BASH cannot be
understood by perl... so does that mean I have to get a new version
of perl which was compiled for use with gnu-win32 ? Ugh.

SRE

mailto:[email-masked] -or- mailto:[email-masked]

"The only possible interpretation of any research whatever
  in the `social sciences' is: some do, some don't."
		-- Ernest Rutherford

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".