Subject: Re: case sensitive directory names
From: [email-masked] (Guy Gascoigne - Piggford)

4 Dec 1997 19:21:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: "Earnie Boyd" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

At 06:18 AM 12/4/97 PST, you wrote:
>What problems is this nature causing?  From your examples I don't see a 
>real problem as the directory names should be found in either case.  If 
>it is something you really want you could modify the result from the pwd 
>command to translate to lowercase.

I can give you one poblem that I've noticed.  We use Clearcase for source
control, many clearcase commands require knowledge about the Current
Working Directory, now take the following scenario.

I have a directory:

s:\source\Stuff\Project1

if, in bash, I cd //s/source/stuff/project1, it works and appears to set
the current directory correctly, however it actually sets the dir to be
what was typed case and all), future pwd calls return the lowercase name
and not the real mixed case name, this causes Clearcase all kinds of problems.

Now I realise that part of the problem here is that Clearcase's handling of
a case insensitive filesystem is somewhat lacking, but the behaviour of the
Cygwin cd command is also somewhat lacking.  Having not looked at it, I
can't say exactly where the problem lies, but it would be nice to fix it
one day.

Guy

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".