Subject: RE: Too Much Mail Volume
From: [email-masked] (Larry Hall)

4 Dec 1997 19:08:09 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: GBradfor <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

At 08:49 AM 12/4/97 -0600, GBradfor wrote:
>
>
>On 12/3/97, Michael Anthon <[email-masked]> at Internet wrote:
>
>>About 10 messages in one day is not very high volume.  I am behind a 
>>firewall and accessing news groups is a problem for me.  I have no 
>>objection to a dual system, but some thought might be put into removing 
>>or distorting mail addresses since junk mailers that harvest news 
>>groups are a real problem.
>     
>10 a day!  I was gone a week and had well over 200 messages to clear out of my 
>box from this list alone.  I was out yesterday, and this morning I had 75 
>messages in my box!  Personally, I (and my mail admin) like the idea of a 
>newsgroup.
>
>/s/
>Pat Bradford
>
>        Respond to:
>                [email-masked]
>                        AND/OR
>                [email-masked]
>

Whenever this subject comes up on this list (and believe me, it ain't the
first time!), I hesitate to contribute to the flow.  I think people should
have access to this list's information in the form that is best for them.
However, it seems everytime this comes up, there is allot of discussion on
this list about the hows and wheres and never the whos and whens.  If 
people want a newsgroup, it seems to me it is more productive to figure
out the latter rather than the former first.  Since NOONE ever seems to 
volunteer to take this ball and running with it, I'm left with the 
impression that either noone is REALLY that interested or everybody simply 
wants someone else to do it.  Let me make a suggestion.  If there is 
someone out there that is really interested in getting this list into a 
newsgroup, send 1 mail message to this list asking that other interested 
parties to send email back to him or her.  Some or all of those parties can 
formulate what they think is a reasonable plan off-line from this list and 
then present it back to the list when they are done.  It will be painful to 
have yet another round of these discussions on this list at that time but 
at least there will be a cohesive (I should hope) proposal to discuss which 
will address many of the concerns and provide a structure, mechanism, and 
responsible body for moving this forward or letting it drop.  More random 
discussions on this topic which bring up the same issues with no conclusion 
every three months or so is not productive for anyone.  While I have noticed
at times that this list generates mail on the order of 50-75 messages
daily, this seems to happen most often when somewhat off-topic threads like
this one get proposed or another pertinent topic drifts off-center.  
Normally I don't find the traffic that unwieldy myself.  But to each 
his/her own.  However, as a non-rhetorical question, can we either address 
this topic in a logical manner off-line from this list or let it die?  I'm 
sure all of our mailboxes will appreciate the reduced traffic either way.

I've said my piece.  Any flames can be directed specifically to me.  No 
need to clutter the list even more with responses from people who feel
I've stepped on their toes!

Larry Hall                              [email-masked]
RFK Partners, Inc.                      (781) 239-1053
8 Grove Street                          (781) 239-1655 - FAX
Wellesley, MA  02181                             
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".