Subject: Re: case sensitive directory names
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

4 Dec 1997 18:20:19 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Kevin Hughes <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gnuwin95 (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>

It's not gnuwin that "remembers" the original case you typed - it's the
filesystem.

NTFS and FAT16 (under NT, anyway) are case-storing filesystems; Win32 is
case-insensitive when looking at the stored filenames.

Instead of using the bash built-in pwd, use /bin/pwd to get the "real"
working directory in a case-consistent way. /bin/pwd walks the
filesystem to find out where you are, while the bash built-in tracks it
by assuming a starting point and watching the cd commands fly by. (If
you cd through a symlink, I think you'll get wildly different answers
from the builtin pwd and /bin/pwd; I don't know which is more useful to
your scripts.)

Jason
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".