Subject: Re: BUG: stdin not a constant (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

4 Dec 1997 15:06:40 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

ANAZAWA Akio <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Anyway, I'm worndering why Cygnus's gcc couldn't accept Peter's code.
>All of other portings of gcc (and others) that I can use around here
>accepted it (gcc 2.7.0 on SPARC, 2.6.3 on FreeBSD, Sun's workshop cc,
>VC++ 4.2 and 5.0).

The important thing is not the version of gcc you're using, it's the C
library you're using.  Cygwin32 uses Cygnus's "newlib" C library.

Cygnus chose to build a new version of the C library (mostly using
existing BSD-licence freeware sources), rather than using the probably
better-quality GNU C library.  This was apparently for financial reasons.

--
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".