Subject: Re: Too Much Mail Volume
From: [email-masked] (Paul Garceau)

3 Dec 1997 23:38:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

Greetings,

On 30 Nov 97 at 12:45, the Illustrious Steven Bellenot wrote:

> 
> This mailing list has so much volume that I think we would be better
> served with a newsgroup to move the traffic and to provide a FAQ.

	I tend to agree with this...in two days I've received nearly 100 emails 
from the list.

> 
> How about comp.unix.gnu-win32?

	My suggestion would be comp.programming.gnu-win32.

	Problem is that usenet groups are notorious when it comes to 
spam/UCE and mailing lists are not when you consider the fact that in the 
month or so that I've been subscribed I have only seen two UCEs come 
through based on the mailing list itself.

	The biggest danger with a usenet group is the spam or UCE that such 
usenet groups generate.  If the group were completely moderated that might 
be different.  As we are all probably aware, however, there is not much 
time for anyone who regularly subscribes to this mailing list to moderate 
such a group.

	What about a mailing list specifically defined as a digest of the 
gnu-win32 responses?

	This way, if someone didn't want to deal with the email, they would only 
have to deal with a single (weekly) digest that came out.  If they desired 
to reply to something from the digest, then their email would be cc: to 
the list and any replies to their email would automatically generate a cc: 
to the original author of the "thread" itself.

	The announcement side of the mailing list does something similar except 
that, as far as I know, there are no replies whatsoever generated by the 
mailing list to the originator of the announcement in question.

	Comments?  Feedback?

		Paul G.

Chronicles of Aurum: Book I
      A Journey Into the Fantastic
http://www.submergedsoftware.com/
ICQ#977283
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".