Subject: Re: Too Much Mail Volume
From: [email-masked] (Peter R Fife)

3 Dec 1997 22:27:37 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: Chris Faylor <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

At 11:31 AM 12/3/97 -0500, Chris Faylor wrote:
>>I don't see what the fuss is about with spam email and the like. Just set
>>up the appropriate filters to put spam etc into a spam mailbox. Then,
>>quickly scan the contents of this mailbox, read anything that looks
>>interesting and delete the rest. That's what I do. The only problem I see
>>with spam email is wasting Internet bandwidth. 
>
>This particular argument crops up every time someone mentions spam.
>What "set up the appropriate filters" means is: Take a stab at filtering
>the spam.  Then when something slips through, tinker with the filters
>again.  Another one comes through?  No problem.  Just add another rule
>to the filter.  Hmm.  How does that work again?  man procmailex.  Oh yeah.
>
>Not getting any email?  Oops.  The filter was too general.  Someone
>complains that they sent you mail and didn't respond?  Oh yeah.  I
>haven't checked my spam mailbox in a while.

Interesting; I have 3 mailboxes for my incoming mail - MUST Answer, Should
Answer & May Answer. To date, I have not received any spam sent direct To:
[email-masked]; so, all my spam ends up in May Answer.

>
>I don't care for this scenario.  YMMV.
>
>>So, I filter this mailing list to a particular mailbox. I only read it when
>>I want to.
>
>I don't have the option of only reading email when I want to.  And, as you
>mentioned, I don't particularly like any of my limited internet bandwidth
>being eaten by junk email.
>

I read my email approx. 6 hours each day. When I read my May Answer
mailbox, I quickly scan it, read what I want and delete the rest. Maybe the
spammers don't mail me direct or something, but all my spam ends up in May
Answer. I rarely read any of it. So, it works for me so far, that's all I
can say.

Peter

>
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".