Subject: egcs-1.0 is released
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

3 Dec 1997 19:39:42 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

EGCS 1.0 is now out! The good news for Gnu-Win32 users is that almost
*all* the changes that affect cygwin32 have made it in, except for 2 small
patches to the C++ front-end. See Changes below.

I'm currently travelling, so can't really make a new distribution and test
it before unleashing it onto the unsuspecting users. Hopefully you will
see a egcs-1.0 release for cygwin32 (mingw32 will take a few extra days)
this weekend.

Checking the last FSF snapshot, I see that Kenner has changed some of the
flags (eg., -windows to -mswindows or something like that). If you follow
FSF snapshots and know what's going on, please drop me a line with a short
explanation of what needs to be changed, so I can make things consistent 
between the two.

Also, it's very important that I find a mirror site(s). I can't afford to
overload our teeny server, which is meant to serve *research* tools. Let
me know if you're willing to help.

Changes from egcs-1.0:
    
    1. C++ front end fix for vtable and rtti of explicitly instantiated
       templates. This is from Jason Merrill, and is in the mainline
       sources already.
    
    2. Cygwin32 config fixes:
	- Use collect2 (this makes -frepo work)
	- Use sjlj as the default exception mechanism since DWARF2
	  unwinding doesn't work with exceptions yet.

Caveats for b18 users:
    1. Can't use export libraries that are built with b18 toolchain. This
       also applies to libcygwin.a distributed by Sergey. You can safely
       use Sergey's DLL and my libcygwin.a (until some interface change
       occurs), so please don't replace mine with Sergey's. I'll
       distribute the last publicly available source tree on Sergey's web
       page (Nov. 3 I believe).
    
    2. There might be binary incompatibility due to the use of exception
       and RTTI info that are on by default. Most of the simple stuff seems
       to work just fine, but at least for a large application that I 
       have (it's a loadable DLL), I had to rebuild from source.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".