Subject: Re: Too Much Mail Volume
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

3 Dec 1997 19:20:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

>I don't see what the fuss is about with spam email and the like. Just set
>up the appropriate filters to put spam etc into a spam mailbox. Then,
>quickly scan the contents of this mailbox, read anything that looks
>interesting and delete the rest. That's what I do. The only problem I see
>with spam email is wasting Internet bandwidth. 

This particular argument crops up every time someone mentions spam.
What "set up the appropriate filters" means is: Take a stab at filtering
the spam.  Then when something slips through, tinker with the filters
again.  Another one comes through?  No problem.  Just add another rule
to the filter.  Hmm.  How does that work again?  man procmailex.  Oh yeah.

Not getting any email?  Oops.  The filter was too general.  Someone
complains that they sent you mail and didn't respond?  Oh yeah.  I
haven't checked my spam mailbox in a while.

I don't care for this scenario.  YMMV.

>So, I filter this mailing list to a particular mailbox. I only read it when
>I want to.

I don't have the option of only reading email when I want to.  And, as you
mentioned, I don't particularly like any of my limited internet bandwidth
being eaten by junk email.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".