Subject: Re: Do we need commercial advertisements in the gnu-win32 list?
From: [email-masked] (Tomas Fasth)

3 Dec 1997 08:00:56 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Maybe the subject should have read "commercial statements" instead.
I am not native english speaking and may have used the wrong word.

David Fox wrote:

> Well, I find the information in Jason's posts (and in the follow-ups)
> quite interesting and informative, even if I'm not considering using a
> commercial product.  Just a second opinion.  It sure beats "Fast Cash"!

I already sent a letter directly to Jason appologizing for my harsh
tone. My complaint was not about him personally or his contributions on
this list, really. I myself find many postings from Jason interesting
and informative.

My complaint is about the overall tendency.
When someone asks about fork() in this list I would expect a discussion
on how to implement it for gnu-win32 in a best possible way, not "Hey,
use our costware instead, it's much better".
When someone mention copying this component from that costware as a
solution to someone's problem, I don't want to know about that
costware's new coming features, ports and releases. Not as a reply to me
and not on this list. Is that too much to ask for?

If such information are of interest for some people but not the majority
on this list then simply create a separate list and carry on!

I bet the real issue here is about a maturing gnu-win32 starting to
threat, or at least fear to threat, some commercial business out there.
As with most freeware collaborations on the net, because of the mere
number of contributors and testers the freeware tend to get high quality
by time, which is not as easily achievable (and much more costly) when
doing it the "other" way.

Of course there are good reasons for Microsoft to not reveal all details
lingering under the hood of win32 for example. They are afraid of
competing freeware! ;-)

Tomas
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".