Subject: Re: Newsgroup proposal (was: Too Much Mail Volume)
From: [email-masked] (Tim Iverson)

3 Dec 1997 04:12:04 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hmmm.  Most of the newsgroups I read have less traffic than this mailing
list, so those that say they're on bigger lists just makes me wonder about
the wisdom of not moving those to newsgroups also.

IMHO, mailing lists are best when the information is either confidential or
of value to only a select population.  This is an open list, so the former
doesn't apply and judging from the volume, neither does the latter.

A filtering MUA is not the answer -- we already use those.  The problem is
the volume itself.  As it stands now, *I* am basically the expire process
for my own little gnu-win32 newsgroup.  I would far prefer that this was
offloaded onto a real newsgroup.

Anyway, I'm just whining here.  I don't have the time or resources to setup
a gateway, or I'd vote the old-fashioned way, and just do it.  I'm hoping
someone else out there does have the time. ;)

There are more comments inline ...

- Tim Iverson


+----------------
| From: [email-masked] (Raymond Y. Lillard)
| Subject: Newsgroup proposal (was: Too Much Mail Volume)
| To: [email-masked] (Tim Iverson)
| Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:46:38 -0800 (PST)
| Cc: [email-masked]
....
| 1.	Get a better mail reader.  There are several readers which can
....
| 2.	Gateway this list to a locally distributed newsgroup.  You might
....
| Those who still feel they get too much mail from this group should
| consider unsubscribing.

I've thought about it; 99% of this list is useless, but every once in a
while, someone says something interesting.

| will an insignificant minority.  Face it, the raison d'etre for
| gnu-win32 is that there presently is a significantly sized group
| of poeple who are struggling to make the transition from Unix and
| its work-a-likes.

Bzzzt.  Not for me.  The reason I'm interested in gnu-win32 is not for the
Unixen stuff -- when I want Unix, I use the real thing.  No, it's for the
compiler.  There are no quality compilers for the windows platform.  There
are absolutely no quality cross-compilers.

| real estate will have a finely tuned Linux box up and cooking at home.
| It will be secreted in a closet or in the basement where none of our
| acquaintances will see it, just a few special and trusted old friends.

Heh.  Not to start a religious war, but why on earth would anyone want to run
Linux when they can get the real thing for free (*BSD)?  Yeah, MS/NT or
variants will always win the popularity contest, but it's gonna take a long
time (more than a puny 3 years) before it's anywhere near as robust as a
Unix system.  Even Linux beats NT.

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart-com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".