Subject: Newsgroup proposal (was: Too Much Mail Volume)
From: [email-masked] (Raymond Y. Lillard)

2 Dec 1997 18:50:41 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked] (Tim Iverson)
Cc: [email-masked]

> I don't like the alt.* idea.  I don't get (and don't want) any of the
> alt.* groups, so putting it there puts it out of my reach.  IMHO, the only
> stuff that belongs in alt.* is that which no one wants anyway.  If this
> list falls into that category, then it should not be moved to a newsgroup.

I heartliy agree with the above opinion regarding alt.* newsgroups.

I see two solutions to the (problem?) of too much mail which could
be implemented by those who feel they have such a problem.  These
are solutions which they can implement themselves or with assistance
from their local systems administrator.

1.	Get a better mail reader.  There are several readers which can
	sort incoming mail.  Setup the incoming mail filters to drop all
	mail from this list into a gnuwin32 mailbox.

2.	Gateway this list to a locally distributed newsgroup.  You might
	need help from your local sysadm.

Those who still feel they get too much mail from this group should
consider unsubscribing.

There are two logical places where support (as in general agreement)
for a newsgroup might be found.  They are:

	* comp.os.ms-windows.gnu-win32
	* gnu.gnu-win32

An additional possiblilty for those who enjoy bearding the lion in
his den is:

	* microsoft.public.gnu-win32

BTW, most of the Microsoft Windows related traffic is now in the
"microsoft.public" heirachy rather than anything under "comp.os".

If anybody cares, my opinion is that the world will care about
gnu-win32 for about 3 more years.  If a newsgroup is made it will
then be as popular as "comp.sys.att" or "comp.os.cpm".

After that time those of us who know how the world could have been
will an insignificant minority.  Face it, the raison d'etre for
gnu-win32 is that there presently is a significantly sized group
of poeple who are struggling to make the transition from Unix and
its work-a-likes.

In about three years time, we will all have gone over to the dark
side or started selling real estate.  Those of us who leave to sell
real estate will have a finely tuned Linux box up and cooking at home.
It will be secreted in a closet or in the basement where none of our
acquaintances will see it, just a few special and trusted old friends.

May all beings be happy,
Ray

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".