Subject: Re: cygnus' notion of symbolic links
From: [email-masked] (Chris Faylor)

2 Dec 1997 13:47:36 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

In article <[email-masked]>,
B. Elizabeth Trojan <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Can someone explain how symbolic links work using the Cygnus
>ln -s command?

A file is written with a special 'cookie' at the beginning followed by
a path spec.  The path spec is the location of the file to which the
link refers.

In coolview and B19 versions of cygwin, symbolic links also have the
'system' attribute set.  The file is not read at all if this attribute
is not set.  This speeds up checking for symbolic links.

As you may be able to see from this brief description, symbolic links
are entirely a cygwin construction.  You can't use them with native
windows programs.
-- 
http://www.bbc.com/	[email-masked]			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".