Subject: Re: cygwin32 NT4.0 NTFS - problem?
From: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)

1 Dec 1997 22:33:50 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: Patrik Wennberg - NCR <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>

The NTFS security model doesn't distinguish between users and groups;
each ACE in an ACL identifies a security principal (either user or
group) and lists the principal's access rights. A file has an owner,
which is any security principal (again, can be a group). A file also has
a primary group, but I think NTFS enforces this to actually be a group
and not a user.

By default, Win32 frequently makes the Administrators *group* the owner
of any file created by any member of the Administrators group. Typical
ACLs would have two entries: an ACE for the Administrators group and an
ACE for Everyone. Cygwin has to somehow map those two ACEs into the
classical Unix mode bits; something someplace is *always* going to
appear odd when an ACL doesn't have exactly an ACE for the owner, an ACE
for a group, and an ACE for everyone/authenticated users/whatever cygwin
thinks "Unix Other" maps to.

Jason
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".