Subject: Re: bash and inputrc
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

29 Nov 1997 01:15:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Try doing bash -login, or include a source .inputrc file in the .bashrc 
file.

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

PS:
The following is from the bash.info file:

`bind'
          bind [-m KEYMAP] [-lpsvPSV] [-q NAME] [-r KEYSEQ]
          bind [-m KEYMAP] -f FILENAME
          bind [-m KEYMAP] KEYSEQ:FUNCTION-NAME

     Display current Readline (*note Command Line Editing::.) key and
     function bindings, or bind a key sequence to a Readline function
     or macro.  The binding syntax accepted is identical to that of
     `.inputrc' (*note Readline Init File::.), but each binding must be
     passed as a separate argument:  e.g.,
     `"\C-x\C-r":re-read-init-file'.  Options, if supplied, have the
     following meanings:

    `-m KEYMAP'
          Use KEYMAP as the keymap to be affected by the subsequent
          bindings.  Acceptable KEYMAP names are `emacs',
          `emacs-standard', `emacs-meta', `emacs-ctlx', `vi',
          `vi-command', and `vi-insert'.  `vi' is equivalent to
          `vi-command'; `emacs' is equivalent to `emacs-standard'.

    `-l'
          List the names of all Readline functions

    `-p'
          Display Readline function names and bindings in such a way
          that they can be re-read

    `-P'
          List current Readline function names and bindings

    `-v'
          Display Readline variable names and values in such a way that
          they can be re-read

    `-V'
          List current Readline variable names and values

    `-s'
          Display Readline key sequences bound to macros and the
          strings they output in such a way that they can be re-read

    `-S'
          Display Readline key sequences bound to macros and the
          strings they output

    `-f FILENAME'
          Read key bindings from FILENAME

    `-q'
          Query about which keys invoke the named FUNCTION

    `-r KEYSEQ'
          Remove any current binding for KEYSEQ

**********************************************************************
Readline Init File
==================

   Although the Readline library comes with a set of `emacs'-like
keybindings installed by default, it is possible that you would like to
use a different set of keybindings.  You can customize programs that
use Readline by putting commands in an "inputrc" file in your home
directory.  The name of this file is taken from the value of the shell
variable `INPUTRC'.  If that variable is unset, the default is
`~/.inputrc'.

   When a program which uses the Readline library starts up, the init
file is read, and the key bindings are set.

   In addition, the `C-x C-r' command re-reads this init file, thus
incorporating any changes that you might have made to it.

* Menu:

* Readline Init File Syntax::   Syntax for the commands in the inputrc 
file.

* Conditional Init Constructs:: Conditional key bindings in the inputrc 
file.

* Sample Init File::            An example inputrc file.

^_
File: bashref.info,  Node: Readline Init File Syntax,  Next: Conditional 
Init Co
nstructs,  Up: Readline Init File

Readline Init File Syntax
-------------------------

   There are only a few basic constructs allowed in the Readline init
file.  Blank lines are ignored.  Lines beginning with a `#' are
comments.  Lines beginning with a `$' indicate conditional constructs
(*note Conditional Init Constructs::.).  Other lines denote variable
settings and key bindings.

Variable Settings
     You can change the state of a few variables in Readline by using
     the `set' command within the init file.  Here is how you would
     specify that you wish to use `vi' line editing commands:

          set editing-mode vi

     Right now, there are only a few variables which can be set; so
     few, in fact, that we just list them here:

    `bell-style'
....

**********************************************************************

>Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:52:37 +0100
>From: Michael Kalisz <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: bash and inputrc
>
>My question is simple:
>
>Does the NT bash use the .inputrc or $INPUTRC file?
>
>I added these two lines to my $HOME/.inputrc
>set bell-style none
>set show-all-if-ambiguous on
>
>And I've tried setting the INPUTRC variable but bash
>ignores the settings.
>
>Any suggestions ?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Michael
>
>
>
>
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".