Subject: cygwin32 (mingw32) + egcs -- news update
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

28 Nov 1997 19:52:18 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Just a heads up for the egcs users -- I just ran the testsuite on the
latest snapshot (+ extra fixes for template handling + use sjlj for
exception handling), and the results for i386-cygwin32 are almost as 
good as on i386-linux-gnulibc1!

Mingw32 would take a bit of work, but a few hours should fix the 
remaining problems, enough to get test results the same as cygwin32.

Looks like egcs release make be out by next week, and if It happens 
before I go on my next trip, I'll make a new distribution asap; if it
happens after, it'll be a off by about a week.

Major Changes from my last snapshot:

1  Use named/arbitrary sectons. This allows you to simply write
   template code and let the linker worry about picking out one for
   you.  This is how Borland C++ does it for example. Very much like
   ELF from a user's perspective.

2  Undo DWARF 2 based exception support. The bug could be in the gcc,
   gas or ld, and I can't figure it out. The default will be setjmp/
   longjmp based exception handling (just like you get on a SPARC 
   running SunOS 4.1.3), which incurs a runtime penalty when you use
   exceptions.

3  Use Collect2. This is essential for C++.

Note that (1) would quite possibly introduce binary incompatibility with 
object code produced by earlier versions, especially if the previously
compiled code has template instantiations or virtual tables or rtti info.

Regards,
Mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".