Subject: inetd "core dump"
From: [email-masked] (Jan Nieuwenhuizen)

28 Nov 1997 14:32:57 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi,

I've been telnetting happily to windows-nt server 4.0 SP2 + cygnus'
gnu-windows + coolview + remote since august. 

Now i can't get it (the august or nov release, how about versioning?)
to work on another windows-nt workstation 4.0 (plain or with SP3) box.
I made etc/password,group files, changed the tokens for administrator, 
set the system environment variables, logged in as administrator (sigh) 
to ensure having a valid mount table, am using the cygnus tools all the 
time for doing local development, even reinstalled windows-nt, and reboot 
the box all the time.  It makes no difference if i run inetd as service 
(under administrator's account) or from administrator's shell.  I don't 
have different cygwin.dll's hanging around.  But if i telnet to the new 
box, i get something like a core dump:

    Instruction at "0x1002167b" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The memory
    could not be "read".
    
    Click (sigh) on OK to terminate the application
    Click (sigh) on CANCEL to debug the application

(as retyped from the box on the screen in cat; bill doesn't want me 
to cut 'n paste --- hope i didn't make any typos :-)

Well, i guess its the "MicroSoft equivalent" of a core dump, because it's
not really helpful; i type (!) ESC:

    Runtime error!
    Program c:\msdev\bin\msdev.exe
    
    abnormal program termination
    
    OK

?

it would be nice if you could help me figure-out what's wrong; i ran out 
of clues; this software can make windows-nt almost bearable...

thanks,

jan.

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[email-masked]> | LilyPond - The GNU music typesetter
http://www.digicash.com/~jan         | http://www.stack.nl/~hanwen/lilypond/

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".