Subject: Re: questions about user tools
From: [email-masked] (Earnie Boyd)

26 Nov 1997 21:51:55 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Doug,

I'm sorry you don't have time to do what you need to do.  To solve your 
ls problem do ls ./

Let me point you to:

ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/gnu-win32/latest/

http://www.cygnus.com/pubs/gnupro/

http://www.cygnus.com/misc/gnu-win32/

http://www.cygnus.com/ml/gnu-win32

http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/gcc.html

http://www.itribe.net/virtunix/winhelp-man-pages/

-        \\||//
---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
[email-masked]
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

>Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:24:59 -0500
>From: Doug Bunting <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: questions about user tools
>
>Hi,
>
>I'm sorry to be sending this message directly to the developers, rather
>than viewing the mailing list.  I just don't have time to go though all
>of those messages.  I'm perfectly willing to follow links to particular
>messages, if relevant...
>
>I'm having a couple of problems with the beta 18 user tools I've used 
so
>far:
>
>1) I don't see a way to get a directory listing of the current drive. 
>If I'm on the e: drive (for example) and enter "ls /", I'll see a
>listing of the c:/ directory.  Is there some work around without using
>"ls e:/"?
>
>2) I also downloaded and installed less330-cygwin32.zip.  It seems to
>work (start up) a bit faster than the standalone less.  Unfortunately,
>all of the text searches seem to fail without warning -- making the "/"
>and "?" commands useless (even when searching for plain text).  Should 
I
>go back to the standalone tool?  Or, is there a work-around?  Do you
>know of a more recent version?
>
>2a) This version of less also seems to have a rather bizarre keyboard
>mapping.  Backspace and Delete keys *both* do nothing useful --
>Backspace enters ^H and Delete does nothing.
>
>3) I noticed a number of references to environment variables on Sergey
>Okhapkin's web page.  Most of them seemed to deal with the development
>tools (most of which don't interest me today).  But, is there a listing
>somewhere of the environment variables which may be used to control the
>beta 18 user tools?
>
>3a) I'd also appreciate a description of how to make tcsh or bash my
>primary DOS shell under Windows 95.
>
>4) How would I download just the CygWin gmake, dmake or make tool?  
That
>will be useful when I start developing Perl scripts on this system.
>
>5) Under Windows 95, the mkgroup and mkpasswd tools do not work.  Is
>there anything else to be aware of in this environment?
>
>6) How would I find the ports of man and the [gnt]roff tools mentioned
>in your FAQ?  There are no links for most of these tools.  Anything
>which makes the *.info and *.[135] files you provide more readable
>(short of using NT emacs which is sometimes slow and may require moving
>files around) would be appreciated.
>
>By the way, the tools are installed in the default location.  I've only
>modified the configuration by adding a mount point:
>	mount C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32 /usr
>
>thanx,
>	doug
>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message 
to
>"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".