Subject: questions about user tools
From: [email-masked] (Doug Bunting)

26 Nov 1997 03:00:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

I'm sorry to be sending this message directly to the developers, rather
than viewing the mailing list.  I just don't have time to go though all
of those messages.  I'm perfectly willing to follow links to particular
messages, if relevant...

I'm having a couple of problems with the beta 18 user tools I've used so
far:

1) I don't see a way to get a directory listing of the current drive. 
If I'm on the e: drive (for example) and enter "ls /", I'll see a
listing of the c:/ directory.  Is there some work around without using
"ls e:/"?

2) I also downloaded and installed less330-cygwin32.zip.  It seems to
work (start up) a bit faster than the standalone less.  Unfortunately,
all of the text searches seem to fail without warning -- making the "/"
and "?" commands useless (even when searching for plain text).  Should I
go back to the standalone tool?  Or, is there a work-around?  Do you
know of a more recent version?

2a) This version of less also seems to have a rather bizarre keyboard
mapping.  Backspace and Delete keys *both* do nothing useful --
Backspace enters ^H and Delete does nothing.

3) I noticed a number of references to environment variables on Sergey
Okhapkin's web page.  Most of them seemed to deal with the development
tools (most of which don't interest me today).  But, is there a listing
somewhere of the environment variables which may be used to control the
beta 18 user tools?

3a) I'd also appreciate a description of how to make tcsh or bash my
primary DOS shell under Windows 95.

4) How would I download just the CygWin gmake, dmake or make tool?  That
will be useful when I start developing Perl scripts on this system.

5) Under Windows 95, the mkgroup and mkpasswd tools do not work.  Is
there anything else to be aware of in this environment?

6) How would I find the ports of man and the [gnt]roff tools mentioned
in your FAQ?  There are no links for most of these tools.  Anything
which makes the *.info and *.[135] files you provide more readable
(short of using NT emacs which is sometimes slow and may require moving
files around) would be appreciated.

By the way, the tools are installed in the default location.  I've only
modified the configuration by adding a mount point:
	mount C:\gnuwin32\b18\H-i386-cygwin32 /usr

thanx,
	doug
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".