Subject: Re: Tape & Floppy
From: [email-masked] (Sven Brueggemann)

22 Nov 1997 05:26:42 -0800
Message-ID: <MSGID_2=3A2426=[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:

MH> >I would really like to use tar or cpio on tapes and disks as I use to
MH> >do with Unix and OS/2.
MH>
MH> I suppose you mean *raw* floppy access?

Yes, indeed.

MH> If so, just get Sergey's newest coolview version of cygwin.dll and raw
MH> floppy access works perfectly.

IHMO only on NT - or how do I create/mount the appropriate devices?

MH> Tape access is supposed to work, too, but it does not work for me at
MH> the moment. Would be *really* great to create backups with tar or cpio
MH> to my DAT streamer.

That's exactly what I would like to do - unfortunately my C is even worse  
than my English.

Unfortunately, Win95 has no standard tape routines so the only reasonable  
way to access tapes is via ASPI (that's the way Andreas Kaiser implemented  
his famous GTAK (tape access for GNU-Tools based on EMX) under OS/2).

If you do so, you would achieve raw access to any SCSI Devices (Tapes,  
PDs, MOs,...).

regards
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".