Subject: pointers &arrays[]
From: [email-masked] (Scott Warner)

21 Nov 1997 19:06:29 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: <[email-masked]>

In a recent chat room discussion, pointer notation of arrays in C was
brought up.  The question is, are array names pointers?  Is array
subscripting another form of pointer notation, or visa-versa?  I realize
the pointer notation works for everything except sizeof() (and maybe
others).  So that

array == &array[0]
array == &array
*array == array[0]
*(array+n) == array[n]

are all true given array[n].  In this case, sizeof(array) returns the size
of the entire array, not array[0].  Are there other examples where this
pointer notation fails?
Lastly, is this pointer notation implementation dependent or is it part of
the de facto standard?

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".