Subject: Question about bash and case sensitive exports
From: [email-masked] (Tomas Fasth)

21 Nov 1997 19:03:16 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
To: gnu-win32 <[email-masked]>

I have a problem with bash when trying to export variables with names in
lower case. I am trying to control the behavior of a configure script by
having a variable no_pipe defined in the environment. On pure *nix this
works, in gnuwin32 it does not because bash insists to upper case
exported variable names.

An example using bash in gnuwin32:

bash$ my_var=my_var ; export my_var
bash$ env
MY_VAR=yes

Although having exported environment variables in upper case can be
considered a most common usage, forcing variable names to upper case is
not a portable behavior.

My questions are:
Why is bash performing this variable name mangling at all?
Can I change bash behavior in this regard without having to recompile?

-- 
Hälsningar/Regards

Tomas Fasth <[email-masked]>
Tel: +46-13-218-181 Cel: +46-708-870-957 Fax: +46-708-870-258
EuroNetics Operation, Mjärdevi Science Park, 58330 Linköping, Sweden
(TwinSpot Network is a subsidiary of EuroNetics Operation)
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".