Subject: Creating NT services
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Garff)

21 Nov 1997 10:17:07 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <01BCFBD9.6337FD60@[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
To: [email-masked]

I was wondering if it were possible to create a NT service using the
cygwin32 gcc compiler.  I have ported a UNIX daemon which was written in
Linux to NT (without a single line of code modification, Kudos to the
cygwin folks). However when I run the program it seems that it must have a
shell open during the entire execution of the program.  I am even calling
a fork to spawn a seperate process which I make a session leader, so in
theory (or in UNIX) it detaches from the parents shell, and returns the
prompt, and it does this under the bash shell in NT.  However when the
application is run from windows it holds a command shell open.  Is there a
way that I can fork/spawn this into the background as a windows NT
service?

Thanks,

Jeremy Garff
[email-masked]
Senior Programmer/Analyst
X10sion Inc. 

-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".