Subject: Re: Bash as the interactive shell in Emacs 19.34.6 for NT not working
From: [email-masked]

21 Nov 1997 07:31:45 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

May I refer you to:

:-) :-)

I wrote:
> >If you mount with text=binary, though, you set the default to be 
> opening
> >files in binary mode.  In this case, it is not possible to open a file 
> in
> >text mode at all, so all the text files must be Unix style text files
> >since there is no translation provided by cygwin32.
> >

Earnie wrote:
> I don't think this is true.  I can create files with \r\n combinations 
> in text=binary and files with only \n in text!=binary.

Yes, sure you *can* create a file as such.  The text file functionality (as
I understand it) is that when a file is opened as a text file in a text!=binary
mount point, then writing \n causes \r\n to be written to the file and reading
\r\n from the file appears as just \n to the program.

In a text=binary mount point, it is certainly possible for a program to write
\r\n if it desires, but if the program writes \n, then that's all that gets
into the file.

In a text!=binary mount point, if a file is opened as as text file, I think
that it is impossible for a program to write \n only, as this will be altered
to \r\n by cygwin32.  However, in a text!=binary mount point, it is possible
for a program to open a file in binary mode, and then it can write \n and
it will not be altered by cygwin32.

At least this is how I understand it.  Any corrections?

marcus hall
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".