Subject: benchmarking on NT
From: [email-masked] (Fergus Henderson)

20 Nov 1997 00:01:58 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
To: [email-masked]

Hi,

[This may be more of an NT question than a gnu-win32 question.]

I'm trying to run some benchmarks on Windows NT.
Ideally I would like to reuse some Unix shell scripts
that I have for this.

Unfortunately, I have run into a problem.  NT has an utterly bizzarre
habit of pausing execution of CPU-intensive tasks for no apparent
reason.  So my simple bash command

	time ./myprog.exe

runs forever, or at least for a very long time.
NT seems to give the process some more CPU time every time I
move the mouse into the Window, or type a key, but I don't want to have
to sit there waving the mouse around while I'm running benchmarks!

This seems to happen regardless of the setting of the "Application
Performance" setting in the Performance section of the Control Panel.

Is there some way of avoiding this?

I'm using NT 4.0 (build 1381).

TIA.

-- 
Fergus Henderson <[email-masked]>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
PGP: finger [email-masked]         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".