Subject: Re: Pentium bug halts system
From: [email-masked] (Paul Shirley)

18 Nov 1997 16:24:43 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
To: Paul Prescod <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

In message <[email-masked]>, Paul Prescod
<[email-masked]> writes
>Please don't raise the Active-X boogey-man. New Active-X controls do not
>get installed and run without user permission.

Having visited a www site this week that refused to progress past the
title page unless I enabled ActiveX and accepted ActiveX controls, I
find it a more credible 'boogey man' than I used to. In this case I was
trying to get insurance quotes (I went elsewhere;)

And yes, a virus is more likely in a malicious attack. I don't remember
disagreeing with that ;) (Although I would have a fighting chance in an
english court claiming this crash bug was not hacking as defined in law)

-- 
Paul Shirley
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".