Subject: Re: fork2
From: [email-masked] (David Fox)

16 Nov 1997 05:04:48 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Zions <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

Jason Zions <[email-masked]> writes:

> > There is no free lunch. If you want only NT, you will have to accept that
> > fork() is NOT there.
> 
> Or you could use OpenNT from Softway Systems which gives you a real,
> honest, fully-conforming, fork(). Not to mention the rest of POSIX.1,
> POSIX.2, sockets, shared memory, semaphores, ttys and ptys, X11, etc.
> that Unix programs and programmers expect.

It appears to me that using OpenNT will add upwards of $1000 to the
price of each copy of the resulting shrink-wrapped application.  This
doesn't seem like a viable option for the typical Windows application.
-- 
David Fox            http://www.cat.nyu.edu/fox            xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab     [email-masked]    baL hcraeseR aideM UYN
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".