Subject: Re: fork2
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

15 Nov 1997 21:18:27 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked] (Jason Zions)
Cc: [email-masked]

Jason Zions wrote:
[...]
> Or you could use OpenNT from Softway Systems which gives you a real,
> honest, fully-conforming, fork(). Not to mention the rest of POSIX.1,
> POSIX.2, sockets, shared memory, semaphores, ttys and ptys, X11, etc.
> that Unix programs and programmers expect.

And OpenNT (or its' competitors) may indeed be the way to go for commercial
endeavors that make heavy use of Unix semantics and that need a fully
POSIX-conforming product.  Cygwin32 is continuously getting better but
today it still only provides a subset of POSIX.1 (and common other
functions).  And Cygnus doesn't sell support for Cygwin32.

Because Microsoft does not publish the lower level APIs necessary to take
the OpenNT route, Cygwin32 will probably be implemented on top of the Win32
API for the foreseeable future.  If I'm misinformed and the information
necessary to implement Cygwin32 at the same level as OpenNT is available,
please let me know.

That said, Cygwin32 is sufficiently good for many applications and it
will continue to be freely available...

Cheers,

Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".