Subject: Re: heap_chunk_size [was:] Towards a more user-friendly cygwin.dll
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

12 Nov 1997 16:47:45 -0800
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> : Now, this isn't a problem to someone who knows what the registry editor
> : is, yet it transpires that cygwin is referenced in two places by this
> : Windows registry, and it is not at all clear exactly _where_ in relation
> : to, say, the cygwin.dll registry entry, the `heap_chunk_size' is to
> : appear.
> 
> I wrote about this at least 3 times without answer!
> Some of my monster processes are >100MB, so I can't use Cygwin, but OpenNT
> works. Haven't tried UWIN yet...

I have never run into this problem but it is definitely there.  Cygwin32's
fork does not know how to cope with split heaps which should explain the
message.  Fixing this might require changing the fork internals to support
an array of heap locations or something along those lines (to take a
guess).

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".